Amazon Operations Interview Insights
January 23, 2022
Amazon conducts a very rigorous interview process, and only a few people get through the door. Software engineering interviews are notoriously hard. But there are other careers options that are relatively easier and available for graduates or MBA professionals. We connected with York-MBA graduate Shiv Ghosh via email and convinced him to tell us the most frequent questions that can help students crack the operations role.
Shiv Ghosh is currently based in Toronto, Canada. You can connect with him for mentorship and guidance via Linkedin
. The episode is generated via AI voice. Here are some of the questions discussed:
- Amazon looks for high-potential leaders who are ready to make an impact on our operations. Tell us about the most significant impact you've made in your current position.
- If I were to interview those who report to you, what would they say is one strength, and one weakness of yours, as a leader?
- Operations Managers work closely with the HR Manager, Financial Manager, Facilities Manager, S&LP Manager, IT Manager, and other Senior Ops Managers. What do you believe will be your unique contribution to this leadership team?
- If hired to be Amazon's next Operations Manager, how will you approach building positive relationships with the people you will be leading?
- Tell me about a manager you had in the past and how you have modeled your behavior after them.
- Amazon looks for proactive leaders. What steps will you take to share best practices consistently across all 100+ people you will be leading?
- Amazon gives preference to management candidates with a bachelor's degree or an MBA. Please walk us through your education and describe how it will lend to your success as our next Operations Manager.
- As an Operations Manager, you will be responsible for at least 100 employees. Do you have experience leading a large team?
- We seek an Operations Manager who is energetic, organized, and a self-starter ready to succeed for themselves and motivate others in a deadline-driven environment. How will you emulate these qualities and meet these goals if hired?
- We provide a base salary plus additional potential perks such as stocks and a range of medical and financial benefits. What does your ideal compensation package include?
- Amazon Operations Managers have significant financial accountabilities. Describe your budgetary experience and responsibilities.
- Our Operations Managers are expected to develop their team members. How will you approach professional development with your direct reports?
- Amazon is defining the future of online retail. How will you contribute to this mission as an Operations Manager?
- Do you have experience in corrective discipline and terminations?
- How will you coach and mentor your team members to ensure they meet performance objectives?
- Discuss your experience creating staffing schedules in a 24/7, 365 environment.
- Tell us about the most recent quality or process change initiative you led in the workplace. What was the pain point you wanted to address, and what results did your idea generate?
- If an Area Manager or Associate was not maintaining compliance or consistency, what corrective action would you deem appropriate?
- As an Amazon Operations Manager, you will measure the performance of your Area Managers and provide them with feedback. How do you approach giving feedback to your direct reports?
- Amazon places a significant focus on listening to the thoughts of our Area Managers. How do you approach sourcing and nurturing the ideas of your team members?
- A primary focus of this role is motivating, mentoring, and managing your team. Do you consider yourself a 'servant leader?'
- When you encounter a personnel issue, how do you address the situation?
- Tell us about your operations management experience in a manufacturing, production, or distribution environment.
- Amazon Operations Manager must be flexible to work any shift, 7 days per week, 24 hours per day, including holidays. Are there any restrictions to your schedule that we should know?
- Six Sigma knowledge is a significant asset to the success of Amazon's Operations Managers. Are you trained in Six Sigma methodologies or Lean tools and techniques?
- We believe that the best managers have more than the ability to manage. They also have a genuine passion for leadership. Why do you want to be our next Operations Manager and lead a team of Area Managers and Associates?
- We are looking for an Operations Manager with a collaborative leadership style. Describe what this means to you.
- As an Amazon Operations Manager, you will help us to establish and maintain quality control standards. What do you believe will be an essential first step to ensuring high-quality deliverables from your team of Area Managers and Associates?
- Amazon is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace. How will you support these efforts if hired as an Operations Manager?
- What questions do you have for me about the team of Area Managers and Associates you would be leading?